[crossfire] Code cleaning, part 2

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jun 7 18:45:13 CDT 2007

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Here are more things I'd like to remove from trunk:
>
> Obsolete/old protocol things:
> * item1 support, map0 / map1 / map1a, and related things map2 makes obsolete
> (map_scroll, mapredraw, i think). Map2 is over one year old on the client
> side, so no excuse no not support that
> * non exp64 skill support. Again, this is quite old, all clients should
> support that.
> * face/face1 support. Again, obsoleted by face2
> * pixmap/bitmap. From what I gather, those were used for xpm/bmp pics,
> replaced by png years ago

  No problem with all of that.

> * old 'Old_Mode' enum and related things in the code. I'm not even sure
> clients actually still support that.

  IMO, Old_Mode could go away.  It isn't used by clients - rather it dates back
before we had clients, where the method of connecting was to connect to the
crossfire server (on that port), and then do something like 'add myhost:0' - at
which point the server would open an x-connection to your host.

  there are some other commands supported in oldmode socket, like who, maps,
etc.  However, getting rid of old mode simplifies a fair amount of code (in
particular, all the Socket_Command stuff could also go away).  It would seem to
me that requiring authentication (in the form of a character) isn't a bad thing.
  Also, I seem to recall some text like clients?  If so, it would be easy enough
to perhaps modify one of those to give an old socket like capabilities (you run
the client, log in, and it lets you do maps, who, whatever, but its only logic
is to encode/decode the packets and print out the drawinfo stuff - it doesn't
try to deal with map, items, etc).

  But I'm not even sure if that functionality is needed.

  Note that with the above changes, I think both the client and server should
get a bump in protocol version numbers.

> * Crossedit. Gridarta is much more powerful, Java will/is be free as speech,
> so supporting it doesn't seem that high priority. It isn't actively
> developed. Also of course remove related things ("editable" field from
> archetypes, things like that)

  I'm presuming you're just going to remove this stuff from the trunk, and not
the stable release, correct?  In which case, to diffuse some issues, one could
still run crossedit from the stable area so long as things don't change in
incompatible ways (which I don't expect to happen anytime soon).

> As a side note: it would be nice to write (in protocol, archetypes, ...) the
> date a new thing (map2) making another "obsolete" (map1a) is committed, so we
> have a trace of "can be removed after some time" stuff.

  Fair enough - I'll try to remember that in the future.  However, you can
probably do a svn info (or is it svn log) to see when commits where and what the
messages are, so could perhaps back date some of this.