[crossfire] Spell idea: Elemental skills

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 01:47:32 CDT 2007

Also spracht Mark Wedel (Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:24:24 -0700):
> 1) Create a fifth skill, probably something like 'pure magic', which
> would cover the manabolts, detect magic, and other misc spells.  Problem
> I perhaps see is that this dilutes the spell skills even more, and if
> does include some of the bread & butter spells (like detect magic), may
> be a case that every spell caster needs this skill.

That sounds good to me.

>   One issue with a general magic skill is how it interacts or is limited
>   by the
> others.  I said in my first message that the earth/fire/wind/water have
> diametric forces, so one can reasonably limit a character to 3 spell
> casting skills.  One would sort of envision that pure magic is in the
> middle of that circle - does that mean if someone chooses fire as their
> speciality, they now have 4 skills (fire, earth, air, general?)  And
> what about someone that chooses general magic - do they now get all 5,
> since the skill they take is in the middle?

No.  What I'd do is 4 elemental classes, each "attuned" to one elemental
skill and "blocked" from the opposite one.  All of them would start with
the "attuned" skill plus what I'm calling "sorcery".  Then they could
learn the other two if they want, but not the "opposing" skill.

Could we want a "sorcerer" class that starts only with "sorcery" (and
maybe alchemy and thaumaturgy?), but can learn all 4, with the price of
not having any attunement?  Maybe.  I think it would be reasonably
balanced, by not having any bonuses.  Specially if the elemental skills
aren't easy to get.

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
                           -----