[crossfire] GTK-V2 "Critical Messages" Pane content improvement

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Dec 22 01:35:09 CST 2008

Kevin Bulgrien wrote:
> The GTK-V2 Critical Messages pane presently seems rather useless.  Not a lot of
> stuff goes there, and I would not call what does go there critical.  Many times
> I find myself not seeing chats, tells, etc, because battle messages, praying,
> etc. are flooding the messages pane.
>
> Does anyone have an objection to the following message types being routed to
> the Critical Messages pane of the GTK-V2 client?
>
> #define MSG_TYPE_ATTRIBUTE          11  /* Changes to attributes (stats, */
>                                         /* resistances, etc) */
> #define MSG_TYPE_COMMUNICATION      15  /* Communication between players */
> #define MSG_TYPE_VICTIM             19  /* Something bad is happening to the player */

  In my pie in the sky wishlist, what goes to what message pane (and how many
message panes) would be setable in config options by the user (Simpler would be
to have a fixed number of message panes, you with checkboxes you select where
messages go - if a pane doesn't have anything selected for it, it wouldn't be
drawn).

(The wishlist beyond that would be able to specify the color/font/whatever for
the different messages)

  I don't have any problems with those above changes, as a simpler solution to
what I discuss.  But I sometimes do wonder if a message pane devoted purely for
player chat would make sense - if folks are busily chatting away, I don't want
to necessarily lose important messages in the critical pane.  Conversely, I have
found times where I've been in combat and have to look back for past chat
messages, and those are interspersed with the more critical battle messages.

  Probably no perfect solution.  The addition of a critical vs normal message
pane was done back in the day when the only thing that the client could use to
differentiate messages was the color they were drawn in, so anything not default
color was considered special, which was fairly arbitrary.