[crossfire] Spell rebalancing notes/thoughts

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 2 01:43:34 CST 2008

>   But even with that, I found that I was waiting for mana to regen a lot.
> I suppose this isn't really any worse than fighters waiting for hp to
> regen. Since by the very nature, these are range spells, the wizard should
> ideally kill the creatures before they get next to him, and if they get
> close, fall back, cast again, and so on.

>   I'm thinking some defensive spell may be in order, so if creatures do get
> close, they get killed.  OTOH, maybe that is part of being a mage - you
> really don't want to be close to monsters.  But many maps don't give much
> choice - go through the exit, and monsters are behind door 2 spaces away.
>
>   Another change I'm thinking of is item destruction.  The firebullet
> doesn't destroy items, but the bolt does.  I'm thinking that maybe bolts
> shouldn't destroy items either - as I see it, bolts are maybe a 1' diameter
> bolt that is 3' or so off the ground as it travels - as such, things on the
> ground shouldn't be destroyed.  Otherwise, especially I think at lower
> levels, using bolts is a pretty big disadvantage because of all the
> treasure it destroyes.

I'd probably add that some kind of movement blocking spell in each magic
class seems like something to consider.  I often am annoyed that I can't
get something like earth wall if I'm the wrong kind of caster.  That sort
of difference is part of what makes it seem wrong to start talking about
blocking the ability to learn new types of magic from what you start with.