[crossfire] Resistance calculation

Jochen Suckfüll crossfire at suckfuell.net
Tue May 20 13:32:17 CDT 2008

Am Mon, 19 May 2008 22:40:54 +0200
schrieb Nicolas Weeger <nicolas.weeger at laposte.net>:

> Hello.
>
> > I would like to suggest a change to the resistance calculation to
> > treat every additional protection and vulnerability relative to the
> > current resistance.
> >
> > Currently, all positive resistances ("protection") are accumulated,
> > and the negative resistances ("vulnerability") separately.
>
> (split much)
>
> IMO, the negative bonus that you can't overcome is part of the
> penalty for choosing a race/god.
> If you could, from -30, reach 100, there would be really no point for
> the -30 in the first place... There are, I think, enough items to
> have high resistances everywhere, so that -30 wouldn't matter much.

Currently the following can happen: There are two characters with no
race vulnerability, both have a total resistance of 30 (from items).
Both apply a ring resist+30. Then one of them has resistance 51, the
other comes out with 36. What happened? The first one started out with
protection 30 and vulnerability 0, while the second one had a high-level
protection of 80, but one item with vulnerability -50.
This sounds not very logical to me.

Concerning race penalties: Take a fireborn, whose fire immunity evens
out the severe penalty of not being able to wear weapons and armour,
but is broken by any item that does fire vulnerability. The race
immunity should IMO be untouchable.

You are right that a race penalty of -30 wouldn't matter that much with
the new calculation. That's why that penalty should be increased to 60
or even 100. That would definitely matter, but could still be overcome
with protective equipment especially for that attack type. But that
would likely render the character less protected against other attack
types.

One thing that should be avoided though is stacking potion effects.
With the new system, potions would just be calculated in as any other
resistance value, so their effect should be reduced somewhat. This
would then also avoid newbies using potions from high level characters
to kill otherwise deadly monsters, because without some additional
resistance, that would still hurt.

Jochen