[crossfire] C++/Qt server version

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 17 18:03:00 CST 2008

> I do plan to have a C++/Qt (core only, no X dependency) version of the
> server, with advanced stuff (dynamic archetype loading, ...).

I have seen C++ messes that I would hate to see in CF, but then it is well
known that you see current CF code as a mess in itself, so perhaps it has
potential for cleaning up the code...

> I do expect / want this version to become the official server ("winning" on
> features, hopefully :)).
>
> But I definitely don't want a fork, so I'd like to work on CF's SVN server.
>
> So two options:
> - I work directly on trunk - my preferred option, considering it's
> "unstable" since some years, and doesn't seem to be soon stable, not much
> work going on it

I depend on trunk not being broken so that I can test and develop things on
trunk.  I no longer have interest in working on branch.  I play only 2.x
servers.  I do not want trunk broken (for long periods) as that will only
be a detriment to play testing and developing what is on trunk now.  This
is how I work on content - a topic on which you are most vociferous.

> - I make a branch and work there - and if needed / when we want we merge to
> trunk

While I recognize branching is a pain at times from my libglade effort in the
client, it is my preference if I read your intentions correctly - it sounds
basically like a huge rewrite.  Whether the branch be of the whole project
or only portions that will be broken for some time is not really a concern.

> Opinions?
>
> Note that this isn't for tomorrow, some stuff to finish before, maybe in a
> few weeks :)
>
> Nicolas

Kevin