[crossfire] Oh noes, my checkout disappeared!

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 00:23:25 CST 2009

Leaf has pointed out to me that some people may have checkouts of an 1.x
branch (eg client/branches/1.x).  If you do, this message is for you.

Since the branch layout has changed last weekend, doing an update in such
a checkout would simply fail, with the not so helpful message:
svn: Target path does not exist

(Leaf actually asked me to try and find a way to keep 1.x checkouts
working, but there isn't anything like a redirect or auto-switch feature
in svn, and I don't want to keep a whole branch around that has no real
purpose but saving one command.)

So if you use a checkout like that, here's the recommended thing to do:

First you should make a choice.  Do you want to follow the supported,
released version, and get eventual bugfixes for that?  Or do you want to
follow the work-in-progress for the next release?

If you want to follow the supported, released version, do this:

svn switch https://crossfire.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/crossfire/
$COMPONENT/branches/1.11 .

where $COMPONENT is the thing you're following -- server, client, arch,
maps.  So for example:

% cd server
% svn switch https://crossfire.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/crossfire/
server/branches/1.11 .

But it would probably be even better to remove your checkout, and instead
create one from the "stable" export:

svn co https://crossfire.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/crossfire/stable/
crossfire

This will get all the components, on the supported version.  It has the
significant benefit that when 1.12 is released, you don't have to run
"switch" again; you will automatically start following that one.

On the other hand, if you want to follow the work-in-progress 1.x release
(more or less equivalent to the old branches/1.x):

svn switch https://crossfire.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/crossfire/
$COMPONENT/branches/1.12 .

for example:

% cd server
% svn switch https://crossfire.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/crossfire/
server/branches/1.12 .

But it would probably be even better to remove your checkout, and instead
create one from the "next" export:

svn co https://crossfire.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/crossfire/next/
crossfire-alpha

This will get all the components, on the supported version.  It has the
significant benefit that when 1.12 is released, you don't have to run
"switch" again; you will automatically start following 1.13 instead.

Note, none of the svn commands above include a line break, but you will
probably see them with line breaks because, well, it's email.  If you
can't figure out how to join them, look them up on the wiki instead:
http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/downloading

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
                           -----