[crossfire] Treasures

Andrew Fuchs fuchs.andy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 14:27:01 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Otto J. Makela <om at iki.fi> wrote:
> Can someone tell me a couple of things that have bugged me for ages?
>
> Some treasure objects (gold nuggets, rubies, sapphires, emeralds) retrieved
> from randomly generated levels do not "pile up" with similar objects retrieved
> from normal maps. I assume this means they are in some fundamental way
> different (weight, value, something else?) from the "normal" treasure objects.
> Pearls and diamonds from random levels do seem to be "normal" in this respect.
>
> Is this intentional, or some kind of a random side-effect?

This has been happening the whole time I have known about Crossfire.
My understanding so far has been that it is a bug that nobody has
bothered to fix. If anyone knows anything to the contrary, please say
so.

> And now that I've got to the random treasure objects, is it also intentional
> that amethysts are never generated as "random gem" on maps? Have they somehow
> been depreciated in the game engine, or are they significantly more valuable
> than other gems? Just the fact that they would need to be buyable at banks,
> and yet another table would be needed for this?

Looking at the SVN commit history for the amethyst archetype, it was
added by a mapper who later had a augmentation with some of the other
project members, leading to him being kicked out of the project and
his server being delisted from the metaserver. He probably intended to
use them with some of the maps he was making.

SVN log for arch/trunk/jewel/amethyst.arc:
http://crossfire.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/crossfire/arch/trunk/jewel/amethyst.arc?view=log#rev3714

> And the same question on opals, which do not appear at all in the standard
> maps (only place I can find them is unlinked/kandora/elcyon/temple)?

Looking at that map, the opals are actually pearls, renamed to "opal".
I have no idea what the mapper intended them to do.

--
Andrew Fuchs