[crossfire] caelestis.glade up for modification

Kevin Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Mon Apr 19 22:43:06 CDT 2010

A key design point for caelestis.glade was that the GTK-V2 client used to
make little use of the so-called Critical Messages pane.  This made it seem
reasonable to add it to a tab notebook since it added little value to the
client.

With the advent of the message control features in the GTK-V2 client, this
design choice now seems to be a detriment to the layout.

Furthermore, with the advent of the detached skills window, an opportunity
has arisen to incorporate some user feedback into rework of this or another
layout.

A suggestion was put forward for the chthonic.glade to remove the skills and
experience panel, and to place the character, core statistics, and protections
information on a three-tab notebook.

While I do not wish to change chthonic.glade to increase the use of notebook
tabs for various reasons, it does seem reasonable to attempt an improvement
on caelestis by both moving critical messages off of a notebook, and by
moving the core stats and protections data to the character notebook after
removing the skills and experience panel.

The changes are in the works, as I believe the logic behind reworking the
Critical Messages panel visibility is likely strong enough to anticipate
which way response, if any, would fall, but feedback is welcome.

Taking the original chthonic request to heart, a key difference between
caelestis and chthonic is that the information is at the top of the screen
on one layout and at the bottom of the other.  I am amenable to changing
caelestis to place the new three-tab notebook at the bottom of the display
if one position is preferred over another.  With no feedback, I will leave
the notebook at the top.

I had originally made a counter-proposal to rename chthonic.glade to
eureka.glade and make the requested changes there, but, it does seem
reasonable to remove eureka, and I am more reluctant to retire the
caelestis name.  While eureka has an in-game reference, the reason it
was picked as a glade layout name was rather lame.