[crossfire] Conventions for exits in town

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Jan 10 21:31:17 CST 2010

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> To have some coherence in maps in town, I'd like to suggest the following
> rules for exits:
> - in the world map, you need to apply an exit to enter the map

  That sounds good.

> - in a town map, exit is applied automatically when you step on it

  I take that to mean that this is the exit in the building/shop/whatever that
leads back out onto the world map?

  Might need to be careful about that - I could see some situations where the
player is placed on the exit, but doesn't want to leave the building (eg, using
the shop mat, and the only available place in the exit space, etc).

  Also, what about dungeons within the town (basement in goth's tavern for
example)?  I'm not wild about that being automatically applied when one steps on it.

  I think as much as anything else, the meaning of the exit (based on
appearance) should be consistent.

  For example, stairs no matter where they are, should require an explicit apply
to use them

  Oak doors could always be auto apply, etc.  Buildings are always explicit
apply, and so on.

  So as a player, if I see an oakdoor, I know what it will (or won't do) no
matter where I am.

  Beyond that, having more consistency based on location sounds good.  It may
just mean updating all the maps to have the appropriate exit for their location.