[crossfire] Character names, was Re: Changing connection texts

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Jan 15 22:45:16 CST 2010

Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>>   I wonder if you could do that if #ifdef's :)
>
> Why #ifdef's?
> Just put the check in the code, at least it won't be forgotten!

  I don't like the idea of putting an actual exit in the code or something -
that could be pretty annoying if it is a section of code not executed very
often, but someone runs into and causes the server to exit (really annoying for
server admins who servers suddenly start exiting through no fault of their own)

  #ifdefs, if done on date, can at least be interesting - if the code ceases to
compile, pretty clear something needs to be done, but at least running servers
won't be directly affected.

  I wonder if just standardizing a comment to use might work - something like:

  /* Removeme - 2010-06-01

  (not sure if the date should be the time of the comment, or targeted time to
remove the code).  At least in that way, a simple grep can be used to find all
of those, and decide which of them qualify for removal.

>>   Fair enough.  I was thinking of going through and cleaning up a bunch of
>> the protocol stuff - there are like 20 different setup options.  Some are
>> actual choices (mapsize, do you want lighting, etc).  But a fair a number
>> are related to protocol versions (I support these protocol commands - use
>> them if possible)
>
> Seems ok. And while we're at it, let's ensure documentation is uptodate! :)

  Yep - I noticed some things fairly out of date.

>>   That may not be a bad idea.  It's been a _long_ time since any official
>> release.  I don't think 2.0 is ready right now for a release, but the
>> amount of cleanup/fixes probably isn't huge.
>
> Then let's do 2.0rc1, and see what needs cleaning. Concentrating on serious
> issues first, and just declare "2.0 is the first in a branch of major
> changes, expect some issues to be around" :)

  The release methodology sort of needs to be sorted out - if we plan to do a
lot of cleanup (which may break things), I'd sort of like to do that before the
first rc - typically you make an rc when you think you are about ready and are
trying to sort out bugs.

  Otherwise, I could see various servers running that, and then when rc2,
suddenly a lot more stuff gets broken because of code cleanup, which isn't
really the way to move.

> Related, maybe the various trackers (bug, patch, feature request) could be
> pruned / cleaned. Much stuff is really obsolete, I think.

  Probably so - and in the case of some patches/contributions, need to figure
out if we're going to accept them or not - no reason for them to just sit in limbo.