[crossfire] TODO list

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Jan 18 20:37:25 CST 2010

Alex Schultz wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:33:44 +0100
> Nicolas Weeger <nicolas.weeger at laposte.net> wrote:
>
>>>   I think one change, relative to food, is for all flesh type
>>> things (which can be eaten as food) should have some time limit
>>> where they start to decompose/rot. I shouldn't be able to carry
>>> around an ogre leg for a week and eat it like nothing has
>>> happened.  Just adding some form of rotting would probably reduce
>>> available food by a bit.
>>
>> Rotting could be fun, but depending on implementation you'd have
>> multiple food parts similar but not merging because "dropped-tick"
>> isn't the same...
>
> We could always implement "multiple timeouts" for objects that
> would in this case specify how many were dropped on a given tick... not
> sure it's worth the bother, but just noting that that isn't an
> insurmountable issue.

  Another possibility is that each flesh has several different states - fresh,
smelly, molding, rotting, and then gone.  The scale may be 1-100, but each of
those corresponds to a range (81-100 is fresh, 61-80 is smelly, etc)

  When you pick up a food item or otherwise cause a case where it would merge,
you find something in the same state (moldy lets say) and average the results.

  For example, player has 2 moldy items with value of 44 - close to rotting.
Picks up 1 item of moldy, but its value is 58 - just went into molding.  So we
take (44*2 + 58)/3 = 49 value for the 3 items

  Unless a player is really tracking time, they are unlikely to notice those
adjustments.  But one problem is that if a player has a big stack of smelly
flesh that goes into moldy, it would make that moldy items fresher and they
wouldn't go into rotting, like they should.

  Another thought, which probably works better, is that globally all food active
in the game drops one category at once.  EG, all flesh in the world goes from
fresh to smelly at the same time, goes from smelly to moldy at same time, etc.
In that way, they are all synced up in status - not realistic.  A middle
approach of all food decomposes in units of 5 may work better - you could still
get the case of some food becoming fresher, but this may be less likely to happen.

  OTOH, one could just say that if the food is being merged together, it is
effectively being stored in the same place, so that their state sort of does
average (if you have 6 eggs that are month old and 6 eggs that are fresh and
store them together, how fresh is that dozen eggs?)

>> As for trolls, that's one disadvantage they have - need MUCH food. On
>> the opposite, Devourer adepts almost don't use food...
>
> Expand cooking to allow players to salt the meats and such? Perhaps
> make weight-reduction-enchanted containers have some kind of partial
> preservative magic? That would help trolls :)

  That could work.  It may just be that for even normal characters, food
consumption can be fairly high - reducing it by half across the board may not be
a bad thing.