[crossfire] TODO list

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Jan 20 01:01:32 CST 2010

Otto J. Makela wrote:
> Mark Wedel wrote:
>> Alex Schultz wrote:
>>> Expand cooking to allow players to salt the meats and such? Perhaps
>>> make weight-reduction-enchanted containers have some kind of partial
>>> preservative magic? That would help trolls :)
>> That could work.  It may just be that for even normal characters, food
>> consumption can be fairly high - reducing it by half across the board may
>> not be a bad thing.
>
> I was just earlier today thinking that the woodsman skill is in addition to
> the "fast moving in wooded terrain" ability (does anyone actually use this?)
> an identification skill -- what if it also included the ability to cure and
> preserve meats so they don't spoil as fast? What about a skill to butcher
> corpses down into more stable food items, or is that just too gory?

  Mountaineering and woodsmen (movement bonus skills) get applied automatically,
just like bargaining should.  A player shouldn't need to explicitly use them.

  I could see several levels of cooking - woodsmen may allow basic preserving of
flesh items (salt/smoke it for example) - this basically gets you a normal food
item that won't rot.

  Cooking might be needed to make special food items (those that give some form
of bonus).

> Or do we want to make all this a part of cooking?

  That might be simpler.  But a general evaluation of the skills, what they do,
and if they can/should be adjusted/made more useful could be in order.

  Things like woodsmen doesn't have any skill levels IIRC, because there is no
proper way to gain exp.  As such, you gain it, and that is it.  But one could
see it having levels, so that as you gain levels, the amount forest slows you
down decreases, where at some point you might not have any penalty.

  If not already in place, woodsmen would also be the natural skill for
harvesting wood.