[crossfire] Attributes/Stats

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed May 12 00:53:36 CDT 2010

On 05/11/10 01:02 AM, Otto J. Makela wrote:
> Mark Wedel wrote:
>
>>    The other thing to note is the relative unimportance of Cha here.  For most
>> characters, only real effect is on shop pricing, as a lot of characters probably
>> do not use singing/oratory.  Other than making some other skill use Cha as its
>> key value, I'm not sure what can be done there - I'd almost be tempted to just
>> drop Cha.
>
> This won't make a huge difference, but... I believe these days monsters are
> pretty much always either friendly or aggressive, there is no middle ground?
> How about having charisma affect how neutral monsters act towards you?
> How about the charm monsters and/or pacify spells, are they affected by this?

  I don't think the spells really affect it much.

  One could do more with charisma - NPCs offering/not offering quests, rewards,
etc based on Cha also.

  But as I was thinking about this more, there is also a sort of odd situation
with stats.

  When you create your character, you are going to try to maximize your stats
for the class you are playing (so if a fighter, you put your best stats in Str,
Dex, Con, and worse stats in other abilities).

  What this typically means is that your stats for your class are fairly close
to their maximum values, but the other stats are not.  So as you find potions,
your character ends up improving stats that don't help their primary class much,
but rather help them pick up other skills/classes, so probably not a big
surprise on why many characters will pick up other classes.  Now presuming
random distribution of potions, it means that they will likely stock up on
potions for their class and probably make an item out of them, so all is not
lost, but that is a harder way to improve stats (needs more potions).