[crossfire] Attributes/Stats

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Wed May 12 12:11:14 CDT 2010

Hello.

>   Never saw any response, but had some other musings.  Changing subject to
> use attributes, since that is a bit less general than statistics, which
> can mean almost anything.

Related, Brendan started a page at
http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/user:cavesomething:possible_stat_values
listing ideas for combat rewriting.

>   If one looks at these descriptions, one can see that spellcasters have a
> tougher time on stats than fighters - for fighters, pretty simple - Str,
> Con, Dex, Cha, Wis, Int, Pow, and the last 4 could be 1 and it wouldn't
> hurt the fighter much.
>
>   For spellcasters, this is tougher - there are more stats they care about.
>  For a wizard, Pow, Int, Con, Str, Dex, Wis, Cha is probably the order.
> But because of penalties, a 1 Dex is a bad idea.

What about rebalancing by making Wis or Int more useful for fighters?
Something like 'your armor will communicate to you if you're intelligent
enough, to help you more'.
Or some way to make fighters "pay" if they have too low Wis or Int or Pow.
Use Pow to resist some attacktypes?

>   The other thing to note is the relative unimportance of Cha here.  For
> most characters, only real effect is on shop pricing, as a lot of
> characters probably do not use singing/oratory.  Other than making some
> other skill use Cha as its key value, I'm not sure what can be done there
> - I'd almost be tempted to just drop Cha.

I'd keep it for singing, oratory and other things :)
Granted, shop prices should be less unbalanced for cha. But it's an
interesting concept, that could be used for instance to convince NPCs to do
something - imagine a quest where if you're lucky the NPC has a crush on you
and doesn't ask for some artifact, if you're unlucky you need to find some
powerful thingy.

Nicolas
--
Mon p'tit coin du web - http://nicolas.weeger.org