[crossfire] races

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Wed May 26 01:35:19 CDT 2010

Hello.

>   Yes - I was thinking something similar could be done (either as advanced
> option or some goal like you describe).
>
>   More player input would probably be desirable.  I'm not sure how
> much/appreciated it would be that after you complete some goal, a new
> race/class is open to you, but only because it is a sucky/hard to play
> race or class.  I could see some players going 'huh?  WTF?'  In many
> cases, such 'rewards' are supposed to be just that - something that makes
> the game better/more enjoyable/new ability.
>
>   Now some players may find the option of playing a hard to play race
> something they want to do, but I have a feeling that would be the
> minority.

What about putting a big warning when such a hard combination is chosen,
something like 'This combo is pretty hard to play, and should be used only by
courageous adventurers - you have been warned!'?

>   And I will note that even in these cases, balancing work is still needed.
>  If the character is completely unplayable, then probably no one would
> find it interesting.

Don't understimate players' feeling of challenge :)

>   I still also stand by my point that the more options/combinations, the
> harder it is for things to balance.  Imagine a game that only has 4
> classes, 1 race, and only 30 monsters.  While not a very complicated game
> (and thus not a lot of gameplay), it is something fairly easy to balance.
>
>   But when you have 15 different races, 20 different classes, you start to
> get into a huge number of combinations, and that is just in terms of
> playable combinations.  I'd rather just work on a smaller set, and once
> that gets balanced (under some determination of balance), then start
> adding in more races/classes and see how it works out.  Even as is now,
> the number of tests needed is probably large.

Indeed.
So one solution is to balance for some combinations, and put a big warning
'this combo hasn't been really balanced, please help us fix it if you are
courageous enough to play it'.

Nicolas
--
Mon p'tit coin du web - http://nicolas.weeger.org