[crossfire] races

igniz revolver igniz.revolver at googlemail.com
Wed May 26 05:43:31 CDT 2010

I haven't been folowing this entire thread but I made some comments on the
classes (specifically caster classes) that may be relevant to the
discussion.

I think the maths of the caster classes could be addressed, specifically how
their mana regeneration is handled and their mana levels.

Also, the races suited to casting classes could be changed.

It seems to me that to be a successful mage you either need to have a
ridiculous pow and choose a race like fireborn, or become some kind of
hybrid mage/fighter so you going OOM isn't such an issue.

Then there's the issue of spell tables and how useful they are.

Sorcery is clearly the most useful, but without reliable aoe it is difficult
to level up. Pyromancy and Evoker tree's are obviously easier and Summoning
becomes better once you get the pet spells, however Sorcery remains poor and
largely utility for a good portion of it's career. What's more, because you
can't increase the skill without killing things, magic items become a good
and potentially better alternative.

There's an inverse problem
with warrior classes, magic is just so useful it becomes ridiculous to
not invest in it if you can. You certainly won't be wearing heavy
armour and casting magic, but praying will likely provide good
alternatives.

I think a number of classes need to be assessed for internal logic.

Imagine if you could't learn other skills via scrolls, talismans or
holy symbols and imagine the problems you'd face. IMO there should be
class feature's to handle each classes problems.

I'm intending to present a longer assessment dossier on the classes
and races of crossfire, along with suggestions, but I haven't had much
time to play crossfire or write about it.