[crossfire] Attributes/Stats

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat May 29 03:45:01 CDT 2010

>   I suppose one could add a bard type class, in which spells (songs) work a
> bit different and which Cha is a key stat, but that is not a simple
> change.  And I'm not quite sure how that would work as a class in
> crossfire.  What works for a table top game, or even other CRPG's where
> you have player controlled NPCs is different.  Since crossfire by in large
> is a solo play game, it means that the class has to be able to stand up on
> its own - something that really complements a fighter has limited value if
> you also have to be the fighter.

Cha could be used for charm monster, oratory, singing, to influence the
outcome.

>   One has to be careful about such schemes - just results in one casting
> spells at every opportunity.  I've played some games like that, and so
> while I'm wandering through the countryside, I'm casting a spell because
> it will slowly improve my skill.
>
>   You can try to control it - they spell has to do damage to creature, etc,
> but then you get the case of the 30th level character sitting in the
> starting house with a bunch of orcs so the spell damages something (if it
> doesn't kill the orcs, they can do it all day).  And if the requirement
> does become it has to kill them, now you fall back into an exp based
> system.

Sure, it needs balancing.

>   Yes - that could be done, but would require some new logic (otoh, if the
> npc is going to give a potion, why not just add logic instead like 'he
> trains you to be stronger' instead?)

New logic isn't hard to add - a simple Python script in the quest mechanism
would work.

>   I'd hate to make them alchemy only - that tosses more balance issues into
> the mix (by the very redesign of classes, some classes will have a hard
> time being able to do alchemy, so they are effectively deprived of
> potions).  One could add something like an NPC alchemist - you bring him
> the components, pay some amount of money, and he'll make the potion for
> you.

Yup, or that's make multiplayer a more interesting thing - one is a warrior,
the other an alchemist.

>   For certain rare items, like potions, treasure lists and treasure chest
> could also be changed.  Right now, at some difficulty level, any random
> chest can have a potion in it.  One could instead add different quality of
> chests (common, rare, etc), and only rare ones might generate potions, and
> those chests should be used sparing - to an extent that random maps may
> contain only one such quest every 5-10 levels or something (and fact it
> may show up in the potion does not mean it would - it might still only be
> a 10% chance, so it means if you clear out a level 100 dungeon, you get 1
> potion)

Yep, treasure lists need rebalancing too.

>   True, but anything that has random determination of reward (Raffle being
> an extreme example, but even rewards at end of dungeons) adds potential
> for doing repeats to get the item you want.
>
>   One could make many of the rewards static (and many items are), but that
> also isn't ideal - it means one knows exactly where to go to get some item
> - I'm not sure that is a good thing either.  Some middle ground may be
> better - not sure.

Random is fine. After all, grinding for items is a playing objective.
But maybe we need to also add quest-based grinding ;)

Nicolas
--
Mon p'tit coin du web - http://nicolas.weeger.org