[crossfire] skill/class cost table

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Oct 16 15:09:53 CDT 2011

On 10/16/11 02:06 AM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
<snip>
>> 2) Skill Scrolls get removed, and characters know all of those skills.
>> However, skills start at level 0, and must be increased to level 1 before
>> they are usable.  For example, a knight character starts out at with fire
>> magic at level 0.  He can use 8 AP to increase it to level 1, and now use
>> it as a level 1 skill.  My basis for this change is several:  The vast
>> majority of skills are things a person would know to do (anyone can pick
>> up an axe, or try to make a sword - they might be very poor at it, but
>> could do so).  Also, I see the starting skills in the existing system as
>> the way to create the classes - fighters don't start with magic skills,
>> not everyone starts with praying skill, etc.  But with skills costing
>> different costs, that is what really defines the class in the new system -
>> a fighter will be a better fighter because the fighting skills are fewer
>> points for them than the mage.
>>
>> Also, skill scrolls really just created a short term limitation - once a
>> character got enough money, which typically wasn't too many levels, they
>> could go out and buy all the different skill scrolls.
>
> Only thing I see is meditation, which is (in the current system) restricted to
> the monk.
>
> If you give that skill to everyone, even at a 100 AP per level cost, I'm sure
> people will use it for the regen benefit.

  I see meditation as an ability (see below) that only monks would get.
Meditation would be an ability not linked to any skill (as it doesn't advance
with levels).

  There would be other abilities tied to specific races.  For example, wraith
touch would be only for wraith, and tied to unarmed combat.  Clawing would be
for dragons and also tied to unarmed combat.  There are probably some others out
there.

  Note that this could get extended - one could add abilities that only certain
classes get just to add some more color to the game.

>> 3) Abilities may be things that need to be learned/bought.  Abilities are a
>> lot like spells but for other skills.  For example, the ability to do
>> triple shot would be an ability, and that might be something the character
>> needs to go out and learn (ideally by quest, but perhaps also by random
>> scrolls).  I haven't really thought much about all the possible abilities
>> - ideally there would be 10-20 per skill (and evenly distributed out so a
>> character gets one every 5 levels or soemthing).  For crafting feats, the
>> recipes could like abilities in some context - knowing how to make certain
>> items.  For combat skills, special attack moves.  Spellcasting already has
>> spells.
>
> Seems interesting, yes. For spells, something like increased range, or why not
> having the "fire all around you instead of a cone" be an ability too?

  Actually, you can do that right now - just fire in direction 0.

  For spells, since there are already a lot of them, I'm not as concerned about
tweaking them.  But for many of the other skills, abilities need to be determined.

  As examples, some that come to mind off the top of my head:
  For weapons, some ability that hits all enemies around the character
  For certain weapons, maybe special slowing, paralyzing, etc, attacks.
  For thievery, something like backstab for extra damage, bypass dodge, etc.

  Just like spells, the list could be endless.  But some of my idea here is that
this also adds things to make the skills more interesting.  Just as right now,
spell skills would not be that interesting if you just got a few spells to start
and all that happened as you went up level is the damage went up slightly, so it
would be with other skills.  Spell skills are more interesting as you get new
spells to try - and ideally similar things should be in place for other skills,
so that you have something to look forward to and new things to try out.

  Some could also be strategic - some special attacks may take more time to
perform, so the player has to make the choice if the effect you get would be
worth it or not.