[crossfire] Patch proposal: unidentified generic faces

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Jan 19 00:56:20 CST 2012

On 01/18/12 02:26 PM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>

> I've been playing with having items hide their "real" face unless they are
> identified.
>
> So for instance potions would keep their generic face when not identified.

  In the distant past, potions used to work that way - generic face until
identified.

> Here's a patch that makes that behaviour.
>

> Right now it's only the face (and animation-related parameters), but I was
> thinking of doing that for the name too. So eg unidentified skill scrolls could
> have a generic blank face and name until they are identified.

  Yes - this makes sense.  Using key/value or other abstraction vs coding in
those values makes a lot more sense.  I suspect that is the reason that skill
scrolls do not work that way - when they were put in, the code was not modified
to hide their names.

> Would that behaviour change be ok?

  Fine by me.

> The code relies on key-values containing "identified" properties (see
> common/item.c:object_give_identified_properties for more details).

  Is the way you see doing this is that the archetype contains the unidentified
values?  I'm just curious as to how the unidentified name/face is determined.