[crossfire] Quest-based leveling?

Jochen crossfire at suckfuell.net
Tue Mar 20 11:55:15 CDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 09:25:13PM -0700, Mark Wedel wrote:
> On 03/18/12 02:39 PM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>>
>> I'm wondering whether it'd be nice or not to have some "main quests", maybe
>> related (like Scorn's nobility quest), that would enable a player to level
>> through them.
>>
>> [...]
>>

>  What is not clear from the above (and some followups suggest this
> confusion) is whether these exp reward are in addition to the exp one
> gets from killing the monsters, disarming traps, etc, or if this is
> basically replaces the way a characters gets experience.
>
> [...]
>
>  A middle approach could be taken - the exp one currents gets from
> killing monsters and other tasks is reduced by some amount (exact amount
> hard to say) because a character now gets exp from the quests.  The
> amount of reduction and the reward for quests would likely be determined
> based on the targeted mix for quest vs non quest exp.  For example, if
> the target is 50% quest, 50% non quest, then exp from monsters, etc is
> reduced by 50%, and the reward for the quest is 50% of a level (presuming
> 1 quest per level - 25% of 2 quests per level, etc).

Reducing exp from monsters in general might scare away those players that do
like hack&slash over questing.

That "middle approach" is IMO a good approach that could be activated
selectively for "quests" that deserve that name, e.g. by setting a map value
to the fraction of exp that's gained immediately as before. The rest of the
original exp could be added to a "quest experience pool" for that quest in the
player inventory. When the player reaches a goal or milestone in a quest, that
pool could be flushed to the player exp.

That approach would still yield the same amount of exp for players that do
hack&slash through a quest *and* finish it.

Jochen