[crossfire] Game change proposals

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Tue Jul 8 13:17:00 CDT 2014

>   I know some other games have an idea of you can either play the minigame
> (at which point it is largely player skill and the character skill makes
> it easier), or a quick 'use character' skill type thing which is probably
> less prone to work, but also very fast (and in the case of failures,
> lockpicks break)

That's a solution, yes.

>   From the initial description, it sounds like each pick has 2 ends, and
> the player also has to choose which end to use.  I also wonder if that
> complication is worth it - each pick having a single end so no rotation is
> necessary would seem to keep the game the same, but make the
> interface/play simpler

Maybe...

The rotation is to make some more challenge, sometimes you need to figure where
the right pick is ;)

> (an as an aside, it would seem like this type of
> thing would need some client support,

Yup, quite possibly.

> and I could certainly see a client
> basically breaking apart the lockpick into its two halves, rotating one of
> them, and when the player clicks on one, determines which pick that is and
> if an orientation change is needed)
>
>   Of course, with all that talk, I then wonder how long until someone makes
> a 'lockpicking plugin' for the client which just figures out everything on
> its own.  Though that becomes more a player choice thing, as with enough
> plugins, the game can play itself.

Yes, see Zebulon.

That part is totally out of concern for me - the game will probably be
optional, so just skip it.

>   One other question - in the example you give, there are 5 components that
> need to be picked.  Presuming lockpicks need to be found/bought, if the
> character is lacking one of the picks, are they just out of luck?

I'd say most locks are regular components, and you have the corresponding
picks.

But special doors could have special components, so you need to find the right
pick through eg a quest :)

Regards

Nicolas