[crossfire] Advice for late-game gear: getting constantly one-shotted

Nathaniel Kipps nkipps at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 08:49:21 CDT 2020

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 1:12 PM Siegfried Eureca
<siegfried.eureca at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there some play balance issue I'm overlooking, or did some code change years back suddenly make a level 40 dungeon into an impossible level 110+ dungeon?

Yes, there have been play balances. Notably, sometime after
Metalforge's branch, and before the current trunk, there was a massive
melee combat nerf, which was aimed at not only slowing down a lot of
combat, but also reducing the power of endgame players so that they
did not massively overpower all content. One of the major changes was
that you longer get as much wc as you used to, and there were also
some type of speed changes (you can no longer cut through low level
enemies without slowing down).

> ac => -120

This ac value would indicate to me that despite the melee nerf, the
character was never intended to be killed, especially if he also has
hitback. Or, he was intended to be killed by spells, which have very
high wc. However, If the intent of the quest is for teh player to
never kill him at all, and that is difficult to figure out without
hints, then maybe the quest maintainer should adjust things or add
another hint or two to help guide players in the right path. (Everyone
loves a good puzzle, but balancing the number of hints is always
hard.)

--DraugTheWhopper