[crossfire] Archetypes collection changes proposal

Kevin Zheng kevinz5000 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 13:51:29 CDT 2020

On 10/7/20 3:22 AM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> I've made good progress, with a global skeleton on which to add more files to
> read (right now I read .face & .png files).
>
> Right now, partial collect process takes approx 10s. It'll probably take more
> at the end, 'cause of more file processing.

Is this code somewhere that we can take an early look at?

> I'll just freely troll (to vent some frustration :)), but I have to do really
> similar stuff for many structure types (faces, archetypes, treasures,
> artifacts, and probably more), and frankly, I'm really tempted to
> "accidentally" switch to C++ just to reduce that duplicated code by using good
> old std::map<>...

I would support code changes that reduce duplication and make code more
maintainable.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I have the same in-depth understanding
(I like to tell myself) of C++ as I do C. If something inevitably
breaks, I'm not sure I'd know how to fix it. I've run many C++ programs
in a debugger to figure out what's going on, only to find that some
constructor or destructor caused a segfault. I have a vague
understanding of C++ name mangling, but am not sure I could fix a broken
C++ build.

Perhaps all that's needed is some C++ education on my part.

Regards,
Kevin