[crossfire] Handling massive loot

nicolas.weeger at laposte.net nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Tue Apr 6 07:46:38 CDT 2021

Hello.

Slightly old thread, but well.

The problem, as I see it, is that there is a need for scripting on the client in the first
place...

CF is, for me at least, a RPG game, not a script-making game...

So let's figure WHY we need scripting, to fix that, instead of fixing the lack of
documentation.

Proposal around that, unrelated to loot handling but well: there is the "knowledge
attempt <code>" command, to have the player attempt a recipe when having
ingredients in inventory and standing on the correct crafting tool (workbench and
such)

I was thinking of extending to "knowledge attempt* <code>" to attempt as long as
the player got ingredients in stock. This way, no need for scripting...

This would though first require the server architecture change I proposed at the start
of the thread.

Nicolas‌

De : "Robert Brockway"A : "Crossfire Discussion Mailing List"Envoyé: samedi 27 Mars
2021 14:32Objet : Re: [crossfire] Handling massive loot
On Sat, 27 Mar 2021, Nathaniel Kipps wrote: > Case in point, I've played the game off
and on for years, and still > haven't figured out how to script properly. This is the
problem. Even experienced players have issues with Crossfire scripting. My concern
is that scripting is under-documented. Scouring the Internet years ago I found that
some people had developed some quite sophisticated Crossfire scripts but almost
none of them had been distributed beyond being mentioned in blog posts and the
like. Everyone is welcome to any scripts I've developed. None of them are
particularly complex. A few more complex examples can be found at the link below.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80525 Rob