[crossfire] Handling massive loot

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Apr 6 23:48:29 CDT 2021

On Tue, 6 Apr 2021, nicolas.weeger at laposte.net wrote:

> The problem, as I see it, is that there is a need for scripting on the
> client in the first place...
>
> CF is, for me at least, a RPG game, not a script-making game...
>

> So let's figure WHY we need scripting, to fix that, instead of fixing
> the lack of documentation.

Hi Nicholas.  I'd like to highlight the difference between *writing*
scripts and *using* scripts.

I agree that no one should have to write scripts in order to play.  That
you can write scripts is a feature but it should never be required.

Using scripts though could be transparent to the user.  Perhaps the client
could maintain a standard location for scripts and automatically install a
series of scripts there the first time it starts.  These scripts would
essentially be transparent to the user but power users would still have
the ability to extend the scripts or produce new ones.

> I was thinking of extending to "knowledge attempt* <code>" to attempt as
> long as the player got ingredients in stock. This way, no need for
> scripting...

To the extent that you can predict how scripting will be used.

Even if you make the extensions you're talking about I'd urge the devs to
retain client side scripting.  Some of us find it very useful.

Rob