[crossfire] Removing server-side help files for client-side commands

Andreas Kirschbaum sourceforge at akirschbaum.de
Sun May 9 04:15:18 CDT 2021

Preston Crow wrote:
> I think we need to be sure that the clients are offering help on the
> local commands before we remove that help from the server.

JXClient has been updated accordingly.

> I think what needs to happen is to have the client intercept the
> 'help' command, display the client-side commands, then send the
> command to the server for the server-side commands.  If asking for
> help on a specific command, the client would only pass it on to the
> server if the command didn't match a local command.

JXClient now implements this suggestion: it intercepts the help command,
then prints a local help and/or sends the help command to the server.

> But we still have the problem of people using older clients with newer
> servers.

I would not worry too much about this issue: A missing help file for
some commands is not a big issue. The server does not even provide help
for all defined commands. Also, we do not have too many players and I'm
not sure how many of these actually use the help command.