[crossfire] Finding maps and their location, moving around

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sun May 30 02:37:28 CDT 2021

Hello.

I think one issue in the game is that many maps aren't easy to find or even to
know that they exist.

Cases in point: three sisters valley, warrior's tower, castle Samorok, whaling
output, things like that.

Merely being in town won't give much information, and if you start exploring
the world, you'll take many days of randomly wandering...

For some, quests could be added so the player at least knows the map exist and
is reminded to try to locate them. May be be "chaining" quests, that is when
you complete one quest, some NPCs start giving hints on other quests?

About finding the maps, I see actually 2 issues, finding the maps the first time,
then finding them again if you want to do them again.

The first time may incur some searching around the world, which isn't that fun
considering that not much happens, and blocking mountains are a real pain...

Once found, it'll be the same issue when the player wants to find again the map
- even if s.he remembers approximately the location, it's a pain to find
again...

I added a long time ago a "GPS"-like system, that enabled to get back to one
specific spot in the world map, but it isn't available anywhere. Should this be
activated so players can easily find again some points in the world? Should we
add "rough" maps that would guide players towards some location?

Should we invent some form of permanent portal, that a player could build in
her/his apartments, then add destinations by being at the desired spot in the
world maps? Something like town portal, but more permanent... Of course
there's always the issue that it probably needs to be a high-costing item that
would be really useful for low-level players... :s

Opinions? Ideas? Thoughts?

Best regards

Nicolas