[crossfire] Private apartments versus guilds

Kevin Zheng kevinz5000 at gmail.com
Sun May 30 13:51:31 CDT 2021

On 5/30/21 12:44 AM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>  From what I see, the 2 major points of guilds are:
> - having portals to many towns and places in the world - that is probably the
> most useful for me
> - sharing items between players (or even your own characters)

I think the various crafting benches in guilds are underutilized.

I would also be a fan of moving the entrance to "NetHack in Crossfire"
to somewhere in the big world, so that you don't need to be a member of
a guild to play.

I think the guild museum is kind of interesting.

In summary, the way I see it, guilds are for having fun playing with
other players. I think the main problems with guilds now is that many
seem inactive, and it's not easy to join an inactive guild.

I think something worth considering is a mechanism to return inactive
guilds to new(er) players, either by some script or by some server
policy. What do folks think about this?

> On the other hand, private apartments provide:
> - buildable areas
> - free crafting facilities if you buy the relevant material (or add a
> cauldron)
>
> They do lack "safe" item sharing, though.

I'm currently working on a patch that, among other things, would allow
players to visit each others' permanent apartments. More on this shortly.

> With the addition of the bank's vault plane, this adds some buildable
> location, enabling a player to sleep there directly, from anywhere in the
> world.

I think the astral vault might have some ramifications to balance,
particularly in terms of the usefulness of apartments, that will be
difficult to balance.

> Should the private apartments have also portals to other places in the world?
> Should they be connected once you bought them (so you can jump from Scorn to
> Darcap)?

I'm not a big fan of portals, see my response to the other thread.

Regards,
Kevin