[crossfire] Private apartments versus guilds

Preston Crow pc-crossfire06 at crowcastle.net
Sun May 30 16:50:03 CDT 2021

On 2021-05-30 14:51, Kevin Zheng wrote:
> On 5/30/21 12:44 AM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>>  From what I see, the 2 major points of guilds are:
>> - having portals to many towns and places in the world - that is
>> probably the
>> most useful for me
>> - sharing items between players (or even your own characters)
>
> I think the various crafting benches in guilds are underutilized.
>
> I would also be a fan of moving the entrance to "NetHack in Crossfire"
> to somewhere in the big world, so that you don't need to be a member
> of a guild to play.
>
> I think the guild museum is kind of interesting.
>
> In summary, the way I see it, guilds are for having fun playing with
> other players. I think the main problems with guilds now is that many
> seem inactive, and it's not easy to join an inactive guild.
>
> I think something worth considering is a mechanism to return inactive
> guilds to new(er) players, either by some script or by some server
> policy. What do folks think about this?

I agree, but the solution that comes to mind is to make guilds into
something where the maps are like apartment maps, only instead of being
unique to a player, make them unique to a party.

This would mean changing around the party system to something where you
can be a member of multiple parties, and making unique maps able to be
per-party.  Or perhaps make all unique maps per-party, but create a
default "just me" party for each character.

This then raises new questions, such as if you're in two parties that
both have a guild in a city, which one do you enter when entering?  What
can be done to encourage the use of guilds in different locations?
Would this mean completely redesigning the guild system?

As to portals, I've gotten rid of the apartment portals on my server
(crowcastle) in favor of a travel map that is a miniature of the world
map, so you at least still get some sense of geography.  I haven't done
anything about guild maps yet.