[CF List] png images

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruznet.com
Tue Jul 4 02:21:02 CDT 2000

Jonathan Taporg wrote:

      Hmm... perhaps you know better than me, although

      this statement somewhat surprises me, because

      I think it's fair to say that highcolor cards were

      available for mid-level pcs back around 1995.

      Also, so long as crossfire supports the bitmap images,

      I don't see why it would be necessary for both of

      the supported image sets to be limited in color.

 Many workstations (and x-terminals) only had 8 bit display even fairly
recently.  While the bitmaps do fine for black & white systems, bitmaps are far
inferior to even the xpm images for color systems.  And at some point, I would
like to get rid of the xpm (reduce distribution size as well as stuff that needs
to be supported).

      Clearly, I'm biased on the subject, because I prefer

      to draw without color restrictions.  And while it may

      take more skill to do a good job on low-color image,

      I believe that well-done high color images can look

      noticably better than ones with the existing colorset.

 Certainly it is easier to do anything if there is no restrictions.  But my own
feeling is that why break something that doesn't need to be broken.  Someone
actually mentioned that he thought it worked better for the images to be a
little more iconic than photo realistic.  And I think most people will agree
that even with the limited color set used for the png's, they still look very
nice.

 i extracted the color list/rgb values from the current png files.  As cursory
glance, there are some things that can be cleaned up (for example, the second
and third entries could almost certainly be moved into one, because no one is
likely able to distinguish the difference between that 1 rgb difference).  I
don't know if these minor differences were caused by the conversion program or
in the original files David checked in.

#000000
#00007F
#000080