[CF List] png images

Norbert Irmer norbert.irmer at heim9.tu-clausthal.de
Tue Jul 4 02:47:35 CDT 2000

Mark Wedel wrote:

      > Clearly, I'm biased on the subject, because I prefer

      > to draw without color restrictions.  And while it may

      > take more skill to do a good job on low-color image,

      > I believe that well-done high color images can look

      > noticably better than ones with the existing colorset.

       Certainly it is easier to do anything if there is no restrictions.  But my own

      feeling is that why break something that doesn't need to be broken.  Someone

      actually mentioned that he thought it worked better for the images to be a

      little more iconic than photo realistic.  And I think most people will agree

      that even with the limited color set used for the png's, they still look very

      nice.

I think it would do no harm to allow the number of colors to be unlimited,

Since you can setup a true color palette even on a 8 bit display, for example
by using 3 bits for red, 3 bits for green, and 2 bits for blue.

(I did this a few years ago when using a self written opengl renderer on an old
sun workstation with 8 bit display, and the results were quite acceptable)

Then the game would still still be playable on old 8 bit displays, and the
artists have any freedom they want.