[CF-Devel] Gfx

Tue Jul 8 10:02:32 CDT 2003

Le Mercredi 9 Juillet 2003 04:29, Todd Mitchell a écrit :

      The water is nice and the marble (I would consider using these and making

      the existing ones classic...), but I still like the existing cobblestones

      better.  The Flagstone is interesting, but I would rather add yours to the

      classic set than replace the existing one.   The wood floors are pretty

      busy, but would be nice for the classic set.

      As for grass - if you replace grass you have to replace many of the other

      tiles which use it as a base (trees, forest, hills...).

Well Speaking of all tiles using grass as a base. Shouldn't we replace all of
them with 2 tiles, one having a alpha layer? I want you to take into account
this, speaking back of smoothing:
If i have a tree ontop of grass, should it smooth as grass or as a tree?
If it smooth as grass, mountains should overlap over it. This means we will
get the feeling that the moutains grows on top of tree (quite unnatural,
you'll agree).
If it is smoothed like a tree, what graphics will see in the border? Small
young trees without grass? The grass at the bottom will end abruptly and we
will lose the advantages of smoothing. So we would put, perhaps, small young
trees and a bit of grass below. But all those would be drawn at level of tree
and so the grass associated will overlap the mountains, which is in
contradiction with the fact mountains should go over grass. And the result
will also be ugly (abruptly ended mountain and grass over the mountain).
The only solution i see is transforming on map a tree with grass as 2 objects,
grass and a tree on top (same with forest over grass, forest over hills,
aso.)
This problem is not new. The weather code, as i can remember, has this problem
when you need to put snow above the grass but below the trees. The code than
replace, on the fly, this object by a pair of object (grass and tree) and
then put the snow. I understand we comes to a problem as client only knows 3
layers of a square map. If you put grass+snow+tree+player on a square, one of
them must disappear. But this is already the case due to on the fly
manipulations of weather code, and i think we should consider replace those
object in maps (a script could be created which does the work.) A solution
concerning snow could be to create a 'snowed grass' object, but am not sure
this is needed.

What do you think about it? This could save a lot of time for drawers when
dealing with smoothing or other, future maybe, updates of graphics.

       If you just

      replace grass all those other tiles look a bit off.

      Don't take this critique the wrong way however, I am glad you are lending a

      hand.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com