[CF-Devel] Gfx

Wed Jul 9 01:43:34 CDT 2003

Todd wrote:

      You know, what we should do is not smooth the trees at all.  We should

      fix the overlap issue with large images and make trees slightly taller

      than 32 px tall - then you could actually walk *in* a forest.  This

      would mean replacing the 'map type' forest look and moving to a more

      *tree type* forest look, but I would be down working on that.  I think

      that would be swell but of course everyone is going to now tell me what

      a stupid idea it is...

  Well, it is a little more complicated, in the sense you need to get some tree
variation that is side to side.

  From your description, what I would envision would be a vertical line of trees
nicely overlapping the one above it, but then you'd have vertical lines of the
base terrain that these are not overlapping.

  So for this to work, you'd also need graphics with trees that spill over side
to side.  I don't think this could be done with simply one graphic - your
talking multiple graphics, or at minimum some graphics to deal with the edge
cases, so making an image that properly tiles like some of the ones right now
probably makes just as much sense.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com