[CF-Devel] smoothing screenshots

Tue Jul 15 11:20:16 CDT 2003

Le Mercredi 16 Juillet 2003 05:47, Todd Mitchell a écrit :

      >If you are speaking of the lake bug in the town hall, this is a

      >problem related to the sea face. That's why i suggested to have the

      >sea at top level with an empty smooth face. So sea border will not be

      >softened.

      I still don't agree, I am having better results with the water being low

      although I have rethought it a bit to make a couple things lower than water

      (an arch for beaches - this mainly because if the wave thing I am playing

      with).  If water is not very low then you will have a problem with chopping

      off every bridge and pier or building on the water edge.  The way lakes are

      done represents an attempt at smoothing which should be replaced by this

      new method of smoothing.  The way lakes are done now is half assed and

      prone to error as you point out - requiring two arches to get the same

      effect as here.  If the client turns off smoothing the lakes should have

      square borders. It looks a bit worse, but no worse than any other tiled

      object without smoothing.  The solution is to fix the lakes, not have two

      types of landscape smoothing.  Rivers are another story...

      >I strongly recommend to put sea at toplevel, at least on a temporary

      > basis. This is, i think, the best way, for now, to work around the

      > problem until maps have been fixed.

      Like I said - this will wreck things like bridges and docs and buildings...

      Also if the water is higher the edges are passable because you are

      overlapping ground, where if the water is lower, the edges are not passable

      since it is land overlapping water - having the water lower will be less

      work to fix maps than having it higher...

You don't understand my point. water wouldn't overlap anything since it has a
transparent border. So sea will still keep it's ugly squared border (can be
worked around since the real sea coast if made of shallow_sea, not deep sea)
and nothing would overlap it (correct problem in town hall)
if you look at

     http://abraxis.sytes.net/games/cfstuff/smooth/trans9.png

      you
may notice this is not a problem which appear from time to time but it is
regular. And the port in Scorn now look weird now (well i suppose you intend
to raise the roads level above the sea)
And i suggested it could be set as temporary. Cause reworking all maps to
track those problems may be a pain and will need time.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com