[CF-Devel] Stats adjudication

Tue Jul 29 21:42:13 CDT 2003

        I'll note that if we decide to go to a point based system, one could

     start

      re-thinking much more than just points for stats.

Are you on the road to Crossfire 2.0 here?   I'm not advocating this, just
pointing out that if you are going to do some breaking it is beter to do a
big break cleanly than a bunch of little breaks.

        As for stat system, presumably the idea of 'all players start with the

     same

      stats' is meaning something like, you get 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12 (or

      whatever) and let the players arrange them?

Well I meant more like 12 12 12 12 12 12 12  (this is two points above
average if natural max is 20 BTW)and get say 5 points to add and I like that
idea of limited point transfer idea where you can move an additional 10 or
so existing points around.
This could give you 15 8 15 16 10 17 9  or  20 16 15 9 12 8 9

        that seems a bit boring to me - one could look at one of the other

     proposed

      systems and say 'well, that system basically costs X points.  So why not

     just

      give them X points to do as they want?'

No real reason.  This way might be quicker and have a nicer interface is
all.  I think that it amounts to the same thing really - assigning the
initial points just saves you a bit of time I think - you should still be
able to get the same results you want depending on how many points you let
people move around.  Presumably if the maximum is 20 few people will want
stats much lower than 5 (if they do then the penalties for low stats aren't
good enough).

        Now if one was going to re-do the stats, one could even take it further

     and

      re-do the stat tables.   Right now high stats are very important, because

     at

      around 20, the bonus really start jumping up (for grace, for example, a 21

     gets

      you a 10 bonus.  a 24 gets you a 20 bonus.  From 11 to 20, the grace bonus

     just

      goes up one at a point.

        One could just completely smooth the tables, ala AD&Dv3.  If that was

     done,

      you could remove all stat limits (90 strength?  Fine.)  This would

     probably make

      things a bit more interesting in fact - do you get for that 34 int but

     only 26

      pow, or do you go for 30 int and 30 pow?

On the one hand if you remove or raise the limit you will extend the value
of all stat altering objects and the value of stat bonuses in the game which
is good.  On the other hand if you allow player to use these higher values
initially then you lower the value of these.  I would say you would want to
lower starting values and raise the limit to get maximum game play value.  A
long career of gaining stats is good for business...

Now on the topic of starting out, I am a big fan of using the race faces and
not the class faces.  I know that many people like the class faces so I
won't advocate only using the race ones (but come on people- race is
visible, class is just your skills....what if you are in your leisure
clothes?) and would like to see a starting option to be able to choose to
keep the race face or use the class one (hmnnn, or maybe a command to be
able to switch between them in game perhaps?)

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com