[CF-Devel] Stats adjudication

Tue Jul 29 09:45:30 CDT 2003

As far as race/class faces.  I would agree that race is visible and should
be used over class.  I'm also thinking, though, if we can get the artists
together -- have different faces for each race/class combination.  just my
$0.02.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Todd Mitchell" <

     temitchell at sympatico.ca

To: <

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 9:42 PM
Subject: Re: [CF-Devel] Stats adjudication

      >   I'll note that if we decide to go to a point based system, one could

      start

      > re-thinking much more than just points for stats.

      Are you on the road to Crossfire 2.0 here?   I'm not advocating this, just

      pointing out that if you are going to do some breaking it is beter to do a

      big break cleanly than a bunch of little breaks.

      >   As for stat system, presumably the idea of 'all players start with the

      same

      > stats' is meaning something like, you get 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12 (or

      > whatever) and let the players arrange them?

      Well I meant more like 12 12 12 12 12 12 12  (this is two points above

      average if natural max is 20 BTW)and get say 5 points to add and I like

     that

      idea of limited point transfer idea where you can move an additional 10 or

      so existing points around.

      This could give you 15 8 15 16 10 17 9  or  20 16 15 9 12 8 9

      >   that seems a bit boring to me - one could look at one of the other

      proposed

      > systems and say 'well, that system basically costs X points.  So why not

      just

      > give them X points to do as they want?'

      No real reason.  This way might be quicker and have a nicer interface is

      all.  I think that it amounts to the same thing really - assigning the

      initial points just saves you a bit of time I think - you should still be

      able to get the same results you want depending on how many points you let

      people move around.  Presumably if the maximum is 20 few people will want

      stats much lower than 5 (if they do then the penalties for low stats

     aren't

      good enough).

      >   Now if one was going to re-do the stats, one could even take it

     further

      and

      > re-do the stat tables.   Right now high stats are very important,

     because

      at

      > around 20, the bonus really start jumping up (for grace, for example, a

     21

      gets

      > you a 10 bonus.  a 24 gets you a 20 bonus.  From 11 to 20, the grace

     bonus

      just

      > goes up one at a point.

      >   One could just completely smooth the tables, ala AD&Dv3.  If that was

      done,

      > you could remove all stat limits (90 strength?  Fine.)  This would

      probably make

      > things a bit more interesting in fact - do you get for that 34 int but

      only 26

      > pow, or do you go for 30 int and 30 pow?

      On the one hand if you remove or raise the limit you will extend the value

      of all stat altering objects and the value of stat bonuses in the game

     which

      is good.  On the other hand if you allow player to use these higher values

      initially then you lower the value of these.  I would say you would want

      lower starting values and raise the limit to get maximum game play value.

      long career of gaining stats is good for business...

      Now on the topic of starting out, I am a big fan of using the race faces

     and

      not the class faces.  I know that many people like the class faces so I

      won't advocate only using the race ones (but come on people- race is

      visible, class is just your skills....what if you are in your leisure

      clothes?) and would like to see a starting option to be able to choose to

      keep the race face or use the class one (hmnnn, or maybe a command to be

      able to switch between them in game perhaps?)

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com