[CF-Devel] Stats adjudication

Thu Jul 31 03:39:09 CDT 2003

On 31-Jul-03 Mark Wedel wrote:

        Actually, if the tables are smoothed out (eg, you get just as much in terms

      of

      added bonus from 20 to 25 and you do from 25 to 30), a more linear

      advancement

      system would also make sense.

        The system you describe in moria would probably make more sense for the

      current system, where going from an 18 to 19 makes a whole bunch more

      difference

      than from say 14 to 15.

Well, my proposal accomplishes a few things:

1) We get a smoother ramp, as you said, we smooth the tables out.
2) We add a bunch more work to maxing out one's stats.  It's no longer a matter
of finding a few potions, you now have alot more to find.  It extends the
challenge a bit that way.
3) You get diminishing returns on potions as you get closer to perfection.
This reflects the fact that really high stats, are an abberation, and require
alot of magic to obtain, not just 7 stat potions.

        I don't really have any solution to that problem.  However, one could

      certainly argue that we should just get rid of charisma, make buying/selling

      fixed rate, and leave it that unless someone has something better to do with

      cha.

Charisma is one of those stats that is never truly useful in most games.  I
think our problem is that we instananeously nullify it with the bargaining
skill.  Random ideas follow:

1) AD&Dv2 says that negative charisma can cause fear, and charisma over 19 can
cause awe. (for gods only, but we can extend/fiddle that)

2) What if charisma affected pets/followers.  Perhaps you can only control N
followers with a charisma of 18.  Or, your range of control is higher, like, a
person with low charisma can't control a pet beyond a certain distance, or
perhaps the amount of time they remain pets is limited.

3) I saw one game that used appearance as a stat, rather than charisma.  The
game took into account everything.. and assigned a number between like 1-300 or
so.  You had a base appearance, and as you wore items, that changed.  The
golden armour made you look better than the iron armour.  If you wore all the
same material, vs some of each, you got bonuses for matching.  You could tie
appearance to shops, rather than charisma.  In addition, the game had a board,
where players would register.  It was a top 30 list of the most beautiful
people.  It was an interesting diversion.  The "registration" process took a
snapshot of your appearance score, meaning you could twiddle around with it,
take the high score, and then revert to useful armour for fighting.

4) Perhaps occasionally you get a nasty cut that scars, you could lose charisma
(or gain it).. Meaning you might have to occasionally maintain it with potions.

5) Maybe charisma potions should not exist.  You can raise your charisma by
becoming a prince/hero/noble of scorn, or other quests, or by the things listed
in #4.

If it were up to me, I'd say we implement #3, and tie in the ideas in #2 as
well.  Charisma could be the base stat for appearance, and your equipment gets
added to that for the overall appearance score.  Shopping would be based on
appearance.  Maybe some shops/towns only let beautiful people in.  Perhaps if
you are ugly, shops will randomly screw you on prices at time of sale.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net

NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS