[CF-Devel] Pupland bugs

Mon Jun 16 13:46:48 CDT 2003

Hi, here is a list of Pupland-related bugs that may or may not have been
fixed in CVS. (These are bugs in the current Pupland maps on Metalforge.)

1) General: a lot of NPC's in pupland, which were standing still before,
  are now moving about. This is wrong, since in some places they become a
  hindrance or break the map. Here are some instances of it:

  a) Training house in Lone Town: 2-3 of the NPCs somehow always run into
     the corridor, and get stuck there, blocking the player from accessing
     the training rooms.

  b) Siegfried's house: Siegfried should NOT move unless provoked (I'm not
     sure what settings are needed in the object for this; is it even
     possible with the latest code??). There is only one spot where the
     player can talk to him; if he moves from that spot, the player cannot
     talk to him. The magic mouth on the other side of the wall indicates
     that the intention is for the player to speak with him right there.
     I've actually observed him standing elsewhere, either because of
     random movement, or some other factor.

  c) Liberation Army training center: some of the NPC's move about; they
     are supposed to remain standing in rank. Specifically, some of the
     NPC's around the "traitor" who's standing over a hole, are moving
     when they shouldn't.

  d) The woman in the towers of reception: she doesn't move around by
     default; but she should have friendly=1; otherwise if someone
     accidentally runs into her, the magic mouths in the corridor make no
     sense.

  e) Pupuly, in Pupuly's Tower (Lone Town) is NOT supposed to budge from
     where he is, in the center of the square!! The whole point of the map
     is to reach him so that the player can talk to him. The design of the
     map makes it clear that the intent is to have him drop through the
     "escape holes" after the player defeats Nazgul. Right now, he moves
     about, and the player can talk to him immediately by standing next to
     the wall, which makes the rest of the map pointless.

2) The hyper kobold in the cave outside Nuernberg is broken. When the
   player opens the 2nd (or 3rd) door, he is supposed to charge down, and
   kill the behemoth and titan very quickly. However, after he kills
   the behemoth, he stops moving, and doesn't attack the player. This is
   wrong.

3) The Power Plant is broken. One of the keys in basement no longer
   exists, which makes 3 rooms inaccessible. The original map has 2 Wraith
   guards, one of whom carries the key. It looks like the basement has
   been revamped, and the wraiths are no longer there; so probably the
   original wraith got deleted unintentionally along with the key.
   (Or it could be the intention that the key be moved to the "secret"
   level reached from the ladder on the island; but there is no key there
   at the moment.)

4) In the Eternal Road (secret cave leading to Eureca's castle), which
   corresponds with the map in the Guard Room in the first level of the
   cave, there is one square with a magic mouth which is supposed to say
   "o" (check original maps). Currently, it says nothing, which is wrong.

   This seems to be an instance of a common problem with crossedit:
   if you edit an object's msg field in crossedit, and the message doesn't
   end with a newline, crossedit DELETES THE LAST CHARACTER in the
   message. Obviously, this is a bug in crossedit. I've seen a lot of maps
   where the last character in a description gets truncated this way. It
   seems that every time someone edits the description, it grows one char
   less.

5) Kurte's house (modern Pupland):
   a) Last test (questions about Shining Kingdom--shouldn't that be
      renamed to Pupland? Or maybe that's the "native name" for Pupland?):
      the various NPC's in here, which are sorta like "flashbacks" to
      earlier Pupland scenes, should NOT move, since they would obstruct
      hallways and move into rooms they aren't supposed to.

   b) Kurte: I'm not sure exactly what happened, but Kurte no longer
      recognizes all the keywords that were originally there (and still
      referenced by what Kurte says). This is very annoying, since in the
      original map he explains to the player what the research scrolls are
      for, etc., but now he doesn't. The player also has to guess the
      keyword for opening the time portal to ancient pupland. This is
      clearly broken.

6) The Thunder Bow and Thunder bolts in the Towers of Reception have
   negative wc bonus instead of positive. Doesn't this mean they are
   making the wielder's wc *worse*? (E.g., a ring of Strife has wc+4,
   which reduces the player's wc by 4 points; it seems that the intent of
   the Thunder Bow and Thunder bolts should be the same.)

7) Eureca's castle:
   a) Prison: I'm not sure what the original intention is, but shouldn't
      Lauretta and Bernie be non-moving in the center of the cell
      somewhere? Right now the player can talk to her across the wall,
      which kinda defeats the point of killing the demons. Also, from
      Bernie's speech, it seems that he shouldn't be wandering around.

   b) (This has probably been fixed, I seem to remember somebody
      mentioning this somewhere before) Upstairs from the Bonehead's
      level: the stairs going up should lead to the (2,2) where the
      staircase down is, rather than right next to the electric dragon.

8) Atelir of Artifact (ancient pupland):
   - the smith should NOT move around; the whole point is that the player
     must reach him to speak to him, instead of being able to talk to him
     through the other side of the wall.

   - also, is it intentional that setting off the earth elemental trap
     causes the elementals to kill the smith?

That's all the Pupland bugs I remember encountering in the past 1-2 weeks
on Metalforge. I'll report more if I run into more in the future.

Windows 95 was a joke, and Windows 98 was the punchline.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com