[CF-Devel] proposed treasure lists

Mon Jun 16 22:47:30 CDT 2003

H. S. Teoh wrote:

      On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 09:12:51PM -0400, Todd wrote:

     I think it would be a good idea to make a treasurelist entry for each

     town that works like the jail treasure list, but is tailored for the

     different towns.  Some towns you kill an NPC and a swarm of guards

     appears, others maybe not so much...   Some towns it's the Wizard guild

     that keeps the peace...

      I like this idea. Certainly beats the current hackish idea of putting a

      guard "inside" the cleaning woman. (cf. Scorn and Navar libraries.)

  Note that the above plan wouldn't really change that - the whatever would
probably still be in the inventory, but the whatever could be different.

  One could certainly station a bunch of guards around in the public places.  If
player does something nasty, one could tie a script to the guards so they make
the player 'wanted', so if the player goes near any other guards, they would
wake up an attack him.

  However, we are going way beyond what the code currently supports.

      [snip]

      It'd be neat if each city has an overall bias for/against certain

      classes/races. E.g., Navar officials would dislike magicians, Wolfsburg

      citizens would welcome thieves, etc.. Just a thought. This would be

      reflected in access to buildings, aggressiveness of guards, and shop

      prices, etc.. And perhaps the player can carry a "reputation" arch that

      offsets this bias if the player has done good/bad deeds in that town.

  That would be neat, I agree.  its non trivial to do - especially if you start
looking at all the combinations - you'd basically need to have a racial
adjustment table to each local, as well as a class adjustment.  These would
modify the players existing reputation, which could be stored as an object (even
a timed object, so that the player is slowly forgotten - reputation could also
be negative, so if your wanted by the guards, and time passes, peopel forget you
are wanted).

  The object part of that isn't hard.  Having  everything look for the
reputation part is.  And putting in some form of code which says 'dwarves are
disliked, elves are liked, humans are neutral'.

  One also needs to be careful that reputation doesn't effect things too much,
eg, one should never be able to buy stuff for less they can sell it for.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com