[CF-Devel] Old Age

Tue Jun 17 18:01:41 CDT 2003

On 18-Jun-03 Todd Mitchell wrote:

      How about age in Crossfire.  A value you get when you create the character

      and

      as game time progresses so do you age.  This would make some races more

      attractive (elves live longer..) and allow you to tweek racial modifiers in a

      whole new way (elves are really weak max str is 20 or have an xp modifier of

      1.5 required to gain levels...).  Age can effect stats, heck even change the

      player image if we wanted to get silly about it (Hail o wizened one)

We did this on my mud.  Basically elves were birthed at 200 years, humans at
17.  They aged at the same rate.  Age affected the speed of your mana/hp
recovery.  For humans, it ramped up quickly to about 35-45.. where you were at
max recovery.  After that, it started getting worse, and at around 85 you would
experience random heart attacks.  Elves on the other hand just slowly got
better, but even at about 1200 years, it was never as good as the humans at age
35.  We allowed you to buy age up or down with exp.  I think we also made the
haste spell age you, like in AD&D.  Other monsters had wither attacks, which
caused rapid aging, and you had to defeat them before you got too old.

It's fairly trivial to implement.. and one of the reasons I implemented a time
system.

---
Tim Rightnour <

     root at garbled.net