[crossfire] Why does no one commit MLAB? Do you reject my maps? Is it personal?!

Todd Mitchell temitchell at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 2 20:39:55 CST 2005

Basically it's easier to deal with smaller things than great big things.

To commit maps to CVS they have to be tested, any arches they use have
to be in the arch CVS and tested before that, and any maps they touch on
have to be checked as well (within reason).  Also if there are scritps
or widgets or other things that need to be used to generate or massage
the sources - well we have to take time to deal with that stuff before
we can even start.

Add this to the amount of time we can spend on crossfire (many folks
have spouses, jobs, kids, other projects and down time) and you can
easily see why a small change like the Navar maps can be done (that
small change still took a few hours out of a busy Sunday) while
something like the mlab maps is just off the scale.  Other developers
were taking on the chore of this mapset so I have not even looked at it
for some time.
If I commit something I have to take responsibility for it and if I
screw up and Metalforge is in chaos or down because of something I did
and I don't want to have to go without sleep on a work night to fix it.

So this is why we have:

"bronze items, ores, bars, [and] even the new mid-east style arches"

They were managable pieces.

Lots of things I have been waiting for for a long time.  I have projects
on the go as well (smuggler quest has been a looong time in the making)
I keep picking away at what I can commit and keep the works in progress
in progress.  The thing is you either wait or you do it yourself.  If
you don't have CVS access (and likely even if you do) you have to make
your submissions as easy as possible to test and submit them.  If you
have a bug fix request you make it as easy as possible for someone to
locate and fix it, an enhancement request, as easy as possible for
someone to implement it, if you have new graphics you make them as easy
as possible for people to get and test...

You get the picture. Besides I thought Salathar or Ryo were working on
the maps.